The Inner Labyrinth

The Inner Labyrinth
Inner Musings and Moments

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dreaming and drifting













Today I attended a workshop on Attending to Aging Parents. The speaker was excellent and the power point presentation covered so many practical aspects of caregiving and the needs of elderly parents. I think the only thing I would have added was the need for a good sense of humor...unless you can find humor and laugh..you will cry for a long time.

The presentation underlined my present concerns and ongoing angst about my parents. Sometimes I just feel like I am trying to outrun time, to somehow get ahead of the merciless tick of the clock.....and what it forebodes.And yet, I realize I am doing the best I can...as the kids said in the Chinese Opera last week..(see middle photo!)
"You did YOUR BEST!! and THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH! You did your best!!"
and
"Work Hard and Play Hard and Do Your Best!!Truth~ Truth was the Test!!

Other times I just wish to dream and drift like a mermaid...away from troubles and cares...into a place of pure art, beauty, joy and reflection...but then I awake and here I am, at the urologist, at the cardiologist or just sitting with my parents in their living room....I drift within these moments and I draw. (When I get my scanner up and running I will be able to share more...)


I do draw a lot and record each moment, each doctor visit and each subtle and not so subtle moment...Drawing has helped me navigate this unknown terrain... I shared my comments about all this briefly at the end of the workshop today...noting that drawings is a way to navigate the difficult terrain of aging and that Nothing is so
Scary you can't draw it...

So now spring is here, tulips poke up through the brown debris, time is moving on, another season is here...I drift with it and dream...sitting in front of my favorite tree.....it's wide embracing branches remind me to keep my heart of compassion open....even if it feels hard...to do so, to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Anita!

    Francesca "Fresca" here.

    How wonderful to see you at the co-op the other day,
    and now here on the blogosphere, and of course your blogs are thought-full and pciture- and story-filled.
    Lovely.

    Living in time is quite a challenge---I am always heartened to see you doing it with such love and COLOR.
    You remind me to live fully.

    Also your blog title "I Can't Clean My House..." should get Title of the Year Award. : )

    (If you click on my name ("Fresca"), it should link you to my blog, should you want to visit.)

    Tea after June 1 (ms due date)?

    My best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita,

    I love your photos of your parents, and your poem about your mom. Your artwork and writing is always a reminder to me of the importance of reflection and noticing life as it flows around us. My dad has mentioned that losing the car has complicated your parents' lives. Maybe it is keeping them safe also. That is my hope (as a notorious carphobe).

    Sally

    ReplyDelete